Powered By Blogger

Monday 28 February 2011

Analysing Radio Adverts

Unfortunately there wasn't much newspaper radio adverts to find. This made it quite difficult for me to understand or know the codes and conventions needed for a successful newspaper advert. However I felt the absence of these radio adverts means that my newspaper will be unique and original.
Below is my analysis of the newspaper adverts I managed to find and my opinion towards them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7tGHQSe5G4
This is an example of a newspaper radio advert from an A2 media student that I found via YouTube.
I liked the idea of advertising the newspaper firstly as a lottery advert because lottery or anything to do with money in today's society is something which grabs readers attention easily. Am starting to feel as though the saying should be changed to "money sells". I liked the fact that their voice was quite clear especially in the beginning which is good as it means that it would encourage the listener to carry on listening to the end of the advertisement as they can hear and understand what is being said in the beginning. The song choice was really nice and enthusiastic and went well with the script as the character was happy that they won the lottery,  it fitted well with the context. Despite these positive codes present in the advertisement, there were a few things that I personally don't feel worked for me. Firstly, I didn't like the fact that there was no jingle all throughout the advert until the end, I felt this was not beneficial in promoting the newspaper because it made the advert appear quite dull and fatigue and this makes the audience/ listeners tune out. Also although they spoke clear in the beginning of the advertisement I noticed that all throughout they spoke quite fast, which made it difficult for listeners to hear or understand what is being said. Their tone of voice was at the same pitch/ level all throughout even when they found out they had won the lottery. This I felt made it quite armature and draining to listen to,  as I felt the emotion in their voice wasn't real which made it less persuading for me as an audience to buy the paper.
Overall I didn't like the advert however I felt through this analysis I managed to find out what works and what doesn't work. For example in terms of why I think they should have played the jingle all throughout is because the effect of the jingle is to "spice" up the advertisement and also to remind the audience of the advert each time they hear it. Personally I feel having a jingle all throughout the advert is important because the jingle acts like a nameplate. The same way you identify a newspaper due to the nameplate, you identify a product with it's jingle or slogan. For example every time you hear the slogan "Feel Like Sunday" you immediately think about the Sunday Mail.
Secondly, although they spoke fast to show their excitement of getting hold of the newspaper, I felt it wasn't done effectively because it wasn't clear. One of the disadvantages of radio adverts in comparison to web pages is that you cannot re-read what has been said so you only have one chance to understand or make sense of what is being said. So it has to be clear enough the first time. I felt there wasn't enough emphasis on the name of the newspaper. It almost muddled up with his other lines and was not clear enough as to what the name of the newspaper was.  Finally it did not inform the readers when the newspaper would be out, where we can get it or how much. I feel this information is vital in promoting consumerism because if the listener is actually drawn in by the advert to purchase the newspaper, they will not be able to do so due to the lack of knowledge of where they can get it from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfBPDOeY__U
This is the second data I will be analysing. This is also a newspaper advert. Although it is not for radio, but rather for T.V. I still feel it is worth knowing about the different codes and conventions between them both and I also felt I could acquire a lot of information by analysing a T.V. newspaper advert. Although the newspaper being advertised is different to what my newspaper features and what it's pleasures are. What I like about this advert is the fact that there is no talking/ dialogue within it and makes the most of the visual aspect of television. It engages the audience through the humour within the storyline about a woman and man who find each other attractive etc, a situation that most of the target audience would be familiar with. The fact that the advert manages to trick the audience in the beginning and then finally advertises the newspaper towards the end  is really effective as they would be drawn in so much by the advert that it would stop them from "tuning out". The use of the closeup shot of the nameplate of the newspaper stood out and became more familiar to the audience thus persuading them to purchase it. I also liked the use of the jingle all throughout the advert because it felt as though it was telling the story and also stuck in my mind for quite a bit which immediately reminded me of the newspaper.Overall I really like this advert because it is aesthetically pleasing to watch and listen to and  not only this it uses humour in a good way to grab the viewers attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment