Powered By Blogger

Thursday 16 December 2010

WEEK 10- My headlines

This week i have been reading a lot of local newspaper articles. I have been reading articles specifically based on crime, because that is the genre I intend to write about for my front page. I noticed that newspaper journalist write in simple sentences and do not use complicated words yet manage to keep their register formal to emphasize on the seriousness of the article.   I have been looking at headlines and the ways in which journalist grab the audience with their headlines. I noticed the use of pun, alliteration, rhyme and simply short sentences or even a single word written in bold fonts, are used to grab the audience attention.
These are examples of headline I looked at, which helped me formulate my own.


 
"THE LAST LAP"
This was an article about the council wanting to close down  a strip club. Notice the use of alliteration and also the play on word.  Most strip clubs are full of lap dancers and it is the only club left. So the headline corresponded well with the article.
"RIVAL GANG WARS IS GOING UP THE HILL"
I really liked the idea of using a pun in my headline so I decided to do the same. My article is about a gang war which happened in Beulah Hill, can u see the link?
"HOUSE PRICES ON THE RISE"
I also liked the effect in which a rhyme has on a headline, not only does it attract the audience but it functions like a slogan and stays in the minds of the reader
"TERRIFYING TREND OF GUN CRIME"
This is one headline I got from the Internet; the use of alliteration “T” engages the audience.
"FAR FROM A FATHER FIGURE"
"CROYDON’S   CULTURAL DAY"
I also did the same with the articles in my inside page.  Although they were short they still gave the reader a general idea of what the story is about. This is what I found out from most headlines, they a short, punchy yet informative enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment