Powered By Blogger

Thursday 3 March 2011

My New commercial transcript

Last week I wrote the first draft of my commercial script. I then asked a few people including my teacher what they thought of it. The feedback I received were very useful as it gave me an insight as to what my audience really want an advert to have and the things that will persuade them to listen to them.

This made me feel as though I hadn't done enough research so I began doing more research on how the script is laid out, what the best way to go about it is, the instructions on the script and also more on the copyright and any conditions of the script/advert.
Using an article written by Dan McCurdy on radio commercial Script and various other resources, I learnt quite a lot. Below is the information I acquired from my background reading of writing a commercial Script in note form.

  1. These are a few instructions used in Radio transcripts to make it clear as to when components such as music ,dialogue or even when to fade in and out.
                     Dialogue

  • Mvo – male voice over;
  • Fvo – female voice over;                                                
  • Cvo – children’s voices;  
Sound and Jingle    
  • Sfx – Sound effects
  • Atmos/Nats – atmosphere or natural sound
  • Fade In;
  • Fade Out;
  • Continue Under;   Mix Up;
  • In / Start - where the insert has definite start;
2.   The Header > this outlines to the reader what the script is about, the duration of it , the product that the script advertises and who wrote the transcript. It is sometimes written as a list, justified or centred, however similar tot he footer  every company has it's own preferred type-face.

3. The Footer> includes contact details of the company that is being advertised preferably the email address and telephone number of the company, who has ownership over the copyright, a section for the radio station to sign to agree to abide by the rules and regulations.

4. The Script is normally double spaced to make it easier for the voice actor to read it.

5. On the left hand side there's always instructions on how the writer wants the actor to deliver the lines, this includes the type of voice and the style of delivery. This could be whether the actor is suppose to be excited, sarcastic, happy etc.

6. Finally I found out that listeners are drawn to adverts that sound as though two friends are having a conversation about the product. This is due to the whole belief of the word of mouth as it make them feel as though a trustworthy consumer is recommending the product to them. Thus making them more drawn in to listen to the advertisement.

After my research I noticed the importance of these instructions on a transcript. It prevents mistakes from happening and it also means that the writer of the transcript does not have to be there when the recording is taking place because the voice actors will know when to talk, how to talk and when they should be expecting the music/jingle to come in. I also double spaced my transcript because, in my research I noticed that radio scripts are always double spaced to make it easier for the actors to read it .

No comments:

Post a Comment